Status: Medical only
2014: Medical cannabis legalised
2015: Medical cannabis sales begin
- Patients must have a qualifying condition;
- Patients must register for the programme;
- Medical cannabis only available in liquid, pill or vaporised form - dried cannabis flowers and leaves are not legally obtainable even for registered patients;
- Dispensary system;
- Patients must re-enrol in the programme annually;
- Patients must pay an annual registration fee in order to continue obtaining cannabis legally;
- Patients may not possess more than a 30 day supply, as prescribed by their doctor;
- There are an estimated 18,000 registered medical cannabis patients in Minnesota according to the Minnesota department of health.
- Between 2005 and 2017, Cannabis use disorder in people over the age of 12 decreased from 2.0% to 1.1%;
- In 2018, sales of medical marijuana reached $US9.6 million.