1979: Possession of small amounts of cannabis for first-time offenders was decriminalised
2015: Failed attempt to legalise medical cannabis
- Possession of less than 1oz (30g) of cannabis for a first-time offence is a civil infraction punishable by $US300;
- Possession of less than 1oz for a second or third offence is a misdemeanour punishable by up to seven days in prison and a fine of up to $US300;
- Possession of more than 1oz but less than 1lb is a misdemeanour punishable by three months in prison and a fine of $US500;
- Possession of more than 1lb of cannabis is a felony punishable by five years in prison and a fine of $US10,000;
- Sale or cultivation is a felony punishable by up to life in prison, and a fine of up to $US25,000.
- Between 2005 and 2017, cannabis use disorder in people over the age of 12 decreased from 1.5% to 1.2%.