Status: Medical only
2015: Reduction of criminal penalties for possession of cannabis for recreational use
2015: Medical cannabis legalised
2019: Medical cannabis dispensaries start sales
- Patients must have a qualifying condition and a recommendation from a doctor;
- Possession of recreational cannabis was decriminalised to a $US300 fine and/or 15 days in jail;
- Patients may possess a 30 day supply of medical cannabis in a non-smokable form as prescribed by their doctor;
- Nine medical cannabis distributing pharmacies are operational in Louisiana;
- Possession of less than 60lbs (960oz) of cannabis is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and fines of up to $US30,000;
- Possession of more than 60lbs of cannabis is a felony punishable by up to 40 years in prison and fines of up to $US1,000,000;
- Distribution or cultivation of cannabis (including possession with intent to distribute) is punishable by up to 90 years in prison and fines of up to $US200,000.
- Between 2005 and 2017, cannabis use disorder in people over the age of 12 decreased from 1.5% to 1.2%.