Status: Medical only
2014: Failed amendment to legalise medical cannabis;
2016: Constitutional amendment legalising medical cannabis;
2017: Legal medical cannabis implementation bill.
- Patients must have a qualifying condition to obtain medical cannabis legally;
- Patients can only obtain medical cannabis with a doctor’s recommendation;
- Patients must register with the medical cannabis programme;
- Patients cannot cultivate their own cannabis;
- Medical cannabis can only be obtained from a state-licensed dispensary;
- There are an estimated 323,506 registered medical cannabis patients according to the Florida Office of Medical Marijuana Use;
- Possession of fewer than 20g (0.7oz) of cannabis is a misdemeanour punishable by up to one year in prison and fines of up to $US1000;
- Possession of more than 20g of cannabis is a felony punishable by up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $US200,000;
- Gifting less than 20g of cannabis is a misdemeanour punishable by up to a year in prison and fines of up to $US1000;
- Sale of cannabis is a felony punishable up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $US200,000.
- Between 2005 and 2017, cannabis use disorder in people 12 years old and above decreased from 1.9% to 1.3%;
- In 2018, sales of medical marijuana reached $US17.4 million.