Current Status: Medical use only
2017: Medical cannabis legalised
2018: Medical cannabis laws go into effect
2020: Sales begin
- Patient and caregiver identification cards must be issued to patients wishing to obtain medical cannabis;
- Patients must have a qualifying condition in order to obtain medical cannabis (there are 18 listed);
- Doctors must be certified before they can prescribe cannabis;
- Home cultivation is not allowed;
- No more than 100 dispensaries will exist in West Virginia, with a limit of only 10 grower permits;
- Registration fees for dispensaries cost $US10,000 and registration fees for growers/cultivators cost $US50,000;
- 10% sales tax;
- Patients will be able to possess more than a 30-day supply as prescribed by a doctor.
- Between 2005 and 2017, cannabis use disorder in people over the age of 12, decreased from 1.9% to 1.3%.