Current Status: Medical only
2012: Failed medical cannabis initiative
2016: Medical cannabis legalised
May 2019: Medical cannabis sales begin
- Patients must have one of 12 qualifying conditions and a doctor’s recommendation to legally obtain medical cannabis;
- State-licensed cannabis dispensary system for medical cannabis;
- 32 dispensaries and five cultivators;
- No allowance has been made for rural patients to cultivate medical cannabis in their own home;
- Possession of fewer than 4oz (113g) of cannabis for the first offence is a misdemeanour punishable by up to one year in prison and fines of up to $US2500;
- Possession of less than 4oz of cannabis for a subsequent offence is a felony punishable by up to six years in prison and fines of up to $US10,000;
- Possession of more than 4oz is a felony punishable by up to 30 years in prison and fines of up to $US15,000.
- Past-year cannabis use disorder in Arkansas aged 12 years and above decreased between 2005 and 2017 (from 1.6% to 1.4%).